Smith Chapel, at 11321 Beach Mill Road, is the oldest church structure in Great Falls.
The Smith Chapel Methodist Church congregation marked the 130th anniversary of the laying of its cornerstone on May 23, 1890 with celebratory wishes to the community. Pastor Ho Kang arranged the giant birthday card in front of the church to mark the occasion. Because of Covid-19, church members are worshiping remotely via zoom technology every week. A major community celebration has been postponed until the fall. The one room church was built by local farmers in northwest Great Falls at a time when all travel was by foot or on horseback and other churches were far away. When it opened, Smith Chapel – named for the Jesse and Lucian Smith family, who carried full responsibility for the construction – was not only a place for Sunday worship, but also a place for social and community events. And so it remains to this day. and welcomes one and all. For information on church history, programs, and worship times, visit http://www.smithchapelumc.com/