Public Notice- Arlington, Virginia
2100 Clarendon Blvd., Arlington, Va 22201
NOTICE OF PROPOSED
REAL PROPERTY TAX INCREASE
The County of Arlington, Virginia, proposes to increase property tax levies.
- Assessment Increase: Total assessed value of real property, excluding additional assessments due to new construction or improvements to property, exceeds last year's total assessed value of real property by 2.2 percent.
- Lowered Rate Necessary to Offset Increased Assessment: The tax rate which would levy the same amount of real estate tax as last year, when multiplied by the new total assessed value of real estate with the exclusions mentioned above, would be $0.958 per $100 of assessed value. This rate will be known as the "lowered tax rate."
- Effective Rate Increase: The County of Arlington, Virginia proposes to adopt a tax rate of $0.998 per $100 of assessed value. The difference between the lowered tax rate and the proposed rate would be $.040 per $100, or 4.2 percent. This difference will be known as the "effective tax rate increase." Individual property taxes may, however, increase at a percentage greater than or less than the above percentage.
- Proposed Total Budget Increase: Based on proposed real property tax rate and changes in other revenues, the total budget of Arlington County will exceed last year’s budget by 4.3 percent.
- The County also proposes to maintain the real estate tax for properties used for or zoned to permit commercial and industrial uses at the current rate of $0.125 per $100. Revenue from this tax is dedicated for transportation initiatives.
- The County also proposes to maintain the sanitary district tax at the current rate of $0.013 per $100 of assessed value. Revenue from this tax is dedicated for the stormwater management fund.
PUBLIC HEARING ON THE INCREASE WILL BE HELD ON MARCH 30, 2017, AT 7:00 P.M. OR AS SOON THEREAFTER AS POSSIBLE IN ROOM 307, 2100 CLARENDON BLVD., ARLINGTON, VA. AFTER THE HEARING IS HELD ON MARCH 30, 2017, THE COUNTY BOARD MAY ADOPT A TAX RATE LOWER THAN $0.998 PER $100 OF ASSESSED VALUE, BUT IT CANNOT ADOPT HIGHER RATE.
Spanish language interpreters will be available. Please see Clerk prior to hearing. Please visit County website at www.arlingtonva.us for information on advanced online sign-up to speak at hearing or call Clerk’s office at 703-228-3130 to register.
Copy of proposed resolution fixing real estate tax rate for CY 2017 is on file and available for review in County Board Clerk’s Office, Room 300, 2100 Clarendon Boulevard, weekdays 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Hope Halleck, Clerk to the County Board
Newspaper Advertisement: February 28, 2017