Know something that should be featured in Faith Notes? Send a brief write-up and photos to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Lea Mae Rice at 703-917-6459.
Accotink Unitarian Universalist Church offers a showing of the documentary "An Inconvenient Truth," in which Al Gore discusses global warming, Sunday, Oct. 1 at 7 p.m. at the church, 10125 Lakehaven Lane in Burke. Free, refreshments served. Call 703-503-4579 between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Monday through Friday for directions.
Jubilee Christian Center offers a healing service Sunday, Oct. 1 at 6:30 p.m. at the church, 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. Missionary Charles McMillen is the guest speaker. McMillen and his wife will be missionaries to Sierra Leone, and teach in local Bible colleges and at the Africa Arise training center. Call 703-383-1170 for more.
St. Peter's in the Woods Episcopal Church has a "Blessing of the Animals" in honor of the feast of St. Francis of Assisi Sunday, Oct. 1 at 10:15 a.m. Service is in the context of morning prayer, all are welcome to bring pets. Church is at 5911 Fairview Woods Drive, Fairfax Station. Call 703-503-9210 or visit www.spiw.org.
The Messiah United Methodist Church sponsors the following events/services. The church is located at 6215 Rolling Road, Springfield. For more, call 703-569-9862.
* Sunday Services. Traditional Sunday morning worship services: 8:15 a.m., with Holy Communion every Sunday; 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m., Holy Communion on the first Sunday; and Heartline, a contemporary praise and worship service, Sunday evenings at 7:15 p.m.
* Prayer at Messiah. Messiah offers the following prayer ministries: Sunday Morning Prayers, 7:15 a.m. in the Chapel; Tuesday Evening Prayer, 7:30 p.m. in the Chapel and Wednesday Prayer Group, 6 a.m. in the Chapel.
* Heartline. A contemporary praise and worship service Sunday evenings at 7:15 p.m.
* GriefShare. A support group for people grieving the death of someone close. Sundays from 2-3:30 p.m., for 13 weeks. For information contact Irene Rich, director of Congregational Care at 703-569-9862, ext. 212.
* Young adults, both singles and married couples, are welcome on Sunday mornings from 11 a.m.-12 p.m. for "Life Lessons with Max Lucado on the book of Acts" in Room 261.
* Marriage Matters. Saturday, Sept. 30, 7-10 p.m. New ministry for married couples has first fall get-together. Bring a dessert to share. Free child care, pre-registration is required. Call Robin Ringler at 703-569-9862, ext. 210 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The 2nd annual "Pumpkin Patch" returns Saturday, Oct. 14-Oct. 31. Fundraising supports the England Mission Exchange. Pumpkins, corn stalks and gourds for sale.
* Hearts and Hands Bazaar Saturday, Oct. 21 at 9 a.m. Features baked goods, pumpkin patch, crafters, silent auction and more.
New World Unity Church is a spiritual community dedicated to "building a consciousness of Oneness." For more, call 703-913-8560, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.NewWorldUnity.org. The church offers the following services, classes and events at its new location, The Cary Building, 8136 Old Keene Mill Road, A-209, Springfield:
* The first Sunday of each month, the 7 p.m. prayer service features a different, interactive form of prayer. On Sunday, Oct. 1, the topic will be gratitude.
* SpiritSong, a vocal ensemble, begins meeting for song and fellowship on Monday, Oct. 2 at 7:30 p.m. Auditions not necessary.
* A new class on “Discovering Your Spiritual Gifts” begins Wednesday, Oct. 11 at 7:30 p.m.
Temple B'nai Shalom offers a monthly "Tot Shabbat Service" on Saturday, Oct. 21 at 10 a.m. The theme is "Creation of the World." This service is geared for all children from infants through age 6. The temple is located at 7612 Old Ox Road in Fairfax Station. Call 703-764-2901.
Ecumenical Communities Helping Others (ECHO) offers a yard sale Saturday, Oct. 21 from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. in the gymnasium at St. Bernadette's Catholic Church, 7600 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield. Proceeds will go toward the expansion of ECHO's facility. Call 703-569-9160 or 703-451-7955 and ask for Pat.
All are welcome to join the Fresh Fire congregation every Sunday for a service at 10:30 a.m. Pastor Sackey and his congregation invite all to participate in preaching and teaching, praise and worship, in a Christ-centered ministry. Fresh Fire International Center meets at the Chinese Martial Arts Building, 8426-B Lee Highway, Fairfax, opposite the BMW Fairfax; entrance is in the back. Call 703-815-8950.
Faith Communities In Action meets the first Wednesday of every other month from 2-4 p.m. at the Fairfax County Government Center, Conference Rooms 2 and 3, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax.
Interfaith Devotions. The Baha'i of Fairfax County Southwest offers "Interfaith Devotions: World Peace and Unity" for the general public on Saturdays. These free devotional gatherings are at the Pohick regional Library, Room #1, located at 6450 Sydenstricker Rd. Burke, 22015.
Immanuel Bible Church's Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) offers meetings the second Monday of each month, except Oct.16, from 7-9 p.m. during the school year. MOPS is a non-denominational Christian women's organization designed to meet the needs of every mother of children aged birth through kindergarten. 2006-2007 open registration is Sept. 11 at 7 p.m. at Immanuel Bible Church, 6911 Braddock Road, Springfield. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Fairfax Church of Christ offers a new Divorce Recovery Support Group. The group will meet at the church's building, 3901 Rugby Road, Fairfax every Monday at 7 p.m. for 16 weeks, beginning Monday, Sept. 11. For additional information call Neal Milligan at 703-631-2100 or visit www.fxcc.org.
Fresh Fire International Center hosts a dress-down "Love Feast" on the second Sunday of every month at 10:30 a.m. at the Chinese Martial Arts Building, 8426-B Lee Highway, Fairfax, opposite the BMW Fairfax; entrance is in the back. Come meet new people, play games, enjoy a meal and hear the word. Call 703-815-8950.
The Vajrayogini Buddhist Center offers classes on Buddhist philosophy and meditation at Unity of Fairfax, 2854 Hunter Mill Road, Oakton, on Tuesday evenings from 7- 8:30 p.m. Beginners to Buddhism and meditation are always welcome. $10 donation.
New World Unity Church offers a Sunday Celebration Service every Sunday at 10:30 a.m. at Irving Middle School, located at 8100 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield. New World Unity Church is a spiritual community "consciously co-creating a peaceful, harmonious world that recognizes Oneness." Children's programs begin at 9:30 a.m. For more information, call 703-690-7925 or visit www.NewWorldUnity.org.
International Calvary Church is a Christ, Bible and Spirit- centered church. Sunday services are as follows: English services at 9:45 a.m., Korean services at 11:30 a.m. and youth services at 11:30 a.m. Sunday School is as follows: English classes at 11:30 a.m. and children's classes at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday Bible study and Youth Meeting are at 8 p.m. and Friday Prayer and Youth Meeting take place at 8:30 p.m. For more information, call 703-569-1918. The International Calvary Church is located at 5700 Hanover Ave., Springfield.
RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) is for people who are interested in becoming Catholic or learning about the Catholic Church. A group will be meeting on Wednesdays, at 7:30 p.m., at St. Leo the Great Church, 3704 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax in the Old Parish Hall and will continue to meet throughout the school year. Call Martha Malloy at 703-273-5369.
Jubilee Christian Center is offering free English classes as a second language during its Sunday School time, 10:10-10:50 a.m. on Sundays at 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. 703-383-1170.
St. Leo the Great in Fairfax hosts “Night of Praise” the first Saturday of each month, featuring praise music and Eucharist adoration at 7 p.m. Located at 3704 Old Lee Highway in Fairfax.
Church of the Nativity offers a free general bereavement support group, 7:30-9 p.m. the first and third Thursday of each month at the church, 6400 Nativity Lane, near Old Keene Mill Road and Lee Chapel Road in Burke. Open to all adults. For more information call Carol Mack at 703-455-2400 ext 17.
The Shalem Institute is offering free monthly prayer opportunities in Fairfax. The time together will be devoted to relaxation, the presentation of different prayer practices, silence, journal keeping and small group sharing. No experience is required and participants may attend regularly or drop in. Donations are accepted. Meetings take place the third Monday of the month from 7:30-9 p.m. at the Providence Presbyterian Church, 9019 Little River Turnpike, Fairfax. Ann Kulp, Kathy Spaar and Tad Wicker lead the meetings. To register for these events or for more information, visit www.shalem.org or call 301-897-7334.
The following is a list of various events taking place at Mount Calvary Baptist Church, 4325 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax:
* Bible study and Prayer Service every Tuesday starting at 7 p.m.
* Sunday School at 9:30-10:45 a.m., except for the fourth Sunday of the month, when Sunday School is offered 9-10 a.m.
* Sunday morning service at 11 a.m.
* Commonwealth Care Center ministry every first and third Thursday night. Call 703-273-1455.