Soliciting Charge Goes to the Grand Jury

Soliciting Charge Goes to the Grand Jury

When a 30-year-old Ashburn man came to Centreville in early February, say police, he expected to meet a 14-year-old girl who'd perform sexual favors for him.

Instead, much to his surprise, he was greeted by detectives from the Fairfax County Police Department. His hopes deflated, he headed off to jail.

THE MAN, Faheem Ulghani Insari, of 20881 Fowlers Mill Circle, was charged with soliciting a minor for sex. The case didn't come to court until last week; but when it did, it was then sent on to the grand jury.

Det. Heath McKennedy explained the details of the case against him in a Feb. 16 affidavit for a warrant to search Insari's cell phone and personal organizer. At the time, McKennedy was assigned to the Child Exploitation Unit of the Criminal Investigations Bureau.

He wrote that, on Feb. 2, a person with the Yahoo screen name, frank_nova2003, contacted an undercover police officer while the officer was in an Internet chat room posing as a 14-year-old girl. Wrote McKennedy: "After several minutes of Internet chat, the conversation began to have sexual overtones."

During the chat, this person — later reportedly identified as Insari — gave "the teenager" his cell-phone number. After that, a phone conversation ensued between him and the "girl" — actually, a female detective, this time.

Believing he was speaking with the object of his affections, McKennedy wrote that Insari allegedly told the "teen" that he wanted her "to commit oral sodomy on him. A location in Centreville was then decided on for their assignation.

According to McKennedy, Insari allegedly "advised the undercover detective he would meet her [Feb. 2] ... in a maroon Nissan Maxima at around 6:15 p.m. He further advised he would be wearing a hat and would have some condoms in his possession."

BUT WHEN he arrived at their pre-arranged spot, he was arrested and charged with use of a communications system to facilitate certain offenses involving children. McKennedy wrote that, after an interview, Insari reportedly admitted to detectives that he was indeed the person who'd engaged in the online chat with someone he thought was a young, teen-age girl.

After various delays, his case came before Judge Robert Smith last Wednesday, Sept. 6, in General District Court. Smith then certified it to the grand jury for possible indictment. If convicted, Insari could be sentenced to as much as five years in prison.