Man Charged with Bank Robbery

Man Charged with Bank Robbery

Allegedly needed money for heroin habit.

Fairfax County police say a Penderbrook man has allegedly confessed to three bank robberies and an attempted robbery.

He is David Brian Clark, 37, of 3904 Penderview Drive in Fairfax. He's now been charged with 10 crimes and is currently being held without bond in the Adult Detention Center.

In an Aug. 24 affidavit for a warrant to search his home for possible evidence, police Det. J.D. Vickery of the Criminal Investigation Bureau's Robbery Squad, presented details of the case against him.

On April 3, the detective responded to the BB&T Bank at 7393-A Lee Highway in Falls Church for a reported bank robbery. He interviewed several victims at the scene, and they described the robber as being a white male, 30-40 years old, between 5 feet 5 inches and 5 feet 6 inches, and 160 pounds.

They told him the suspect had worn a dark-colored cap, black gloves and a green jacket with black around the shoulders. They said he also wore blue jeans and white sneakers with some black color in them.

They stated that, during the robbery, the man brandished a silver, semi-automatic handgun with a flashlight attached to the bottom. He'd also brought with him a white, plastic bag with yellow color on the side.

"[He] demanded United States currency from the employees," wrote Vickery. "They complied and gave him the currency and a 'dye pack.' The subject exited the branch and was seen running east. The 'dye pack' was seen exploding in a nearby parking lot, but no items were recovered."

Then on May 9, the BB&T at 7000 Bland St. in Springfield was robbed. The suspect was described as a white man, 5 feet 5 inches, and wearing a green hooded sweatshirt, dark black sunglasses and a dark baseball cap. He carried a black, fabric bag and displayed a silver, semi-automatic handgun with a flashlight attached to the bottom.

Two days later, on May 11, the same BB&T in Falls Church was once again robbed. The description of the robber and his attire were the same as during the May 9 offense, except that black gloves were added and witnesses noticed a New York Yankees emblem on the front of the baseball cap. And, as in the previous robbery, the suspect carried the same type bag and handgun.

The robber apparently took a break in June but, on July 18, returned to the same, beleaguered BB&T in Falls Church for what he hoped would be yet another successful robbery. However, this time, wrote Vickery, "The employees of the branch noticed the subject and locked the front door. [He] attempted to gain entry, but was unsuccessful."

Meanwhile, photographs of the three bank heists were placed into the Fairfax County Crime Solvers bulletins, and one of them struck paydirt. On Aug. 23, an anonymous phone caller reportedly identified the person in the photos as David Clark. Police were also able to learn that Clark was currently being held in the Adult Detention Center on narcotics charges.

Vickery then spoke to him about the bank robberies. "Clark confessed to three bank robberies and the attempted robbery," wrote the detective. "He [allegedly] stated he conducted the robberies to obtain money for heroin."

In his warrant, Vickery wrote that he hoped a search of Clark's residence would yield the stolen money from the banks, a "dye pack," the specific clothing worn by the bank robber, the handgun and its connecting flashlight, sunglasses and Yankees baseball cap. Police executed the warrant, Aug. 24 at 6:55 p.m., and seized: Three gloves, a Polo sweatshirt, one black cap, Clark's birth certificate and a gray sweatshirt.

On Aug. 19, police had charged Clark with possession of heroin, possession with intent to distribute drug paraphernalia, and petit larceny. At that time, he was held in jail on $8,500 bond.

Then on Aug. 24 — while he was still behind bars — police served him with additional arrest warrants charging him with one count of armed bank robbery, three counts of attempted bank robbery and three counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

He is now being held without bond and has a Nov. 13 court date for all his charges. Robbery and attempted robbery are each punishable by as much as five years to life in prison.