Know of something that should be listed in Classes & Workshops? Send a brief write-up to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or Lea Mae Rice at 703-917-6459. Deadline is two weeks prior to the date of the event.
Israeli Dance Class. Tuesdays, 8-10 p.m., at the Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia, 8900 Little River Turnpike, Fairfax. Beginner, intermediate and advanced. $5/session/JCCNV member; $6/non-member; $4/student or senior. Reservations not required. Call 301-982-0937.
Irish Step Dance Classes. Fridays, at 6 p.m., and 7 p.m. Open to beginners, ages 5-15, at Studio One, 6208 Rolling Road, Springfield. Call Jordan Dudney at 703-899-5317.
Learn the social dances (ballroom, Latin, swing, night club, country western and polka) in Cy Richardson's group classes on Tuesday nights at the Oaks Community Center, 5708 Oak Leather Drive, Burke. Six-week sessions (8 hours). $56/person. Free make up class. Singles and couples welcome. Call Cy at 703-250-5360.
Intermediate/advanced ballet classes are offered Sundays through mid-June, from 4-5 p.m., at the Commons Community Center, 5701 Roberts Parkway in Burke Centre. Registration is open for youth and teens familiar with ballet technique and terminology. This two-hour class will focus on traditional ballet technique and intended to provide an opportunity for dancers to refresh, maintain, and expand their ballet skills. $10 per session. Call Emily Simmons at 571-235-4158.
Tiny Dancers now offers ballet, tap and hip-hop classes as week-long mini-camps for children ages 3-6. Each week-long camp session includes daily instruction in ballet, tap or jazz, a snack, fine motor exercise, and dress-up dance interpretation. The session culminates with a recital at the end of the week. Sessions are offered at both the Fairfax and Gainesville locations. For information and registration, call 703-385-5580 or visit www.tinydancers.com.
Dance Auditions. Tryouts for jazz, pom and Hip Hop will be held June 12 from 6-8 p.m. at the Creative Dance Center. Must be entering grades 6-12. For more information or to sign up for auditions, call Ginny at 703-378-1800.
<cal2>Baby Sign Language classes will be offered through Wednesday, June 21 from 10-10:45 a.m. at Community Covenant Church in Springfield. To register, contact Laura Rozier at 703-912-7666 or visit www.babylovetosign.com.
Parrot Care. Lake Accotink Park offers a parrot-care workshop, covering the basics of bird health, nutrition, cage essentials and other aspects of bird care. $45/person. Park is located at 7500 Accotink Park Road in Springfield. For registration or dates and times, call 703-569-0285.
Learn how to care for cockatoos at a Lake Accotink Park workshop that will cover the basics of bird health, nutrition, cage essentials and other aspects of bird care. $45 per person. Park is located at 7500 Accotink Park Road in Springfield. For registration or dates and times, call 703-569-0285.
The Springfield Art Guild offers the following classes at Kings Park Community room at the Kings Park Shopping Center. Call 703-866-5254.
* Oil Painting Workshop takes place every Wednesday, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Cost is $15 per session. Drop in for professional instruction by Susan Norman. Students provide own supplies.
* Expressive Arts Workshop. Saturdays July 8, 15, and 22 from 1-2:30 p.m. Learn with Maureen Wolford. Cost $125, includes supplies.
* Open Studio/Critique takes place the first and third Thursdays of the month from 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Free. Tables, chairs, water and spotlights available. Students bring own supplies. Call 703-493-7676.
Life Through Art is an art center based in Springfield that offers classes, camps and healing sessions. Call Maureen at 703-455-4473 or visit www.lifethroughart.com.
* Women’s Art Healing Group. Meet and create art projects relevant to current life experiences. Meets twice a month on Wednesdays from 7-9 p.m. at 9018 Maritime Court, Springfield. $25 per session including supplies. Group meets in Springfield.
* Art Studio Critique. Welcome all aspiring and established artists. Work on own project with some instruction or critique. Meets Tuesdays from 10 a.m.-noon, at 9018 Maritime Court, Springfield. $10 per session with own supplies or $15 per session with most supplies.
* After School Art. Explore many different types of art including drawing, architecture, art history and sculpture. Meets at 9018 Maritime Court, Springfield. $25 per group session or $35 per individual session including supplies. Classes and schedules are individually created for each child’s interest and schedule.
Carol Zeitlin of Burke offers art classes and camps to students of all ages. Call Carol Zeitlin at 703-250-6930 or visit www.geocities.com/czeitlinschneier.
* Art Classes for 5-8 year olds. Available in drawing and watercolor painting. Classes meet in Burke on Tuesdays, Thursdays or Saturdays.
* Art Classes for 8 years and up. Available in drawing and watercolor painting. Classes meet in Burke on Tuesdays, Thursdays or Saturdays.
* Art Classes for teens/adults. Available in drawing and watercolor painting. Classes meet in Burke on Tuesdays, Thursdays or Saturdays.
* Art Lessons. Youth ages 8 years and older can take part in one of three art classes on Tuesdays from 4:30-5:45 p.m., Thursdays from 5:15-6:30 p.m. or Saturdays from 9:15-10:30 a.m. Classes are 9-11 weeks long.
* Drawing Lessons. Youth ages 8 years and older can take part in one of two art classes, on Tuesdays from 4:30-5:45 p.m. or Thursdays from 5:15-6:30 p.m. Classes are 9-10 weeks long.
* Art Workshop. Teens and adults can take part in an art workshop, on Saturdays from 10:30-12 p.m. Classes are 9-10 weeks long.
* Chinese Brush Painting. Teens and adults can take part in Chines Brush painting on Saturdays from 11-12:15 p.m. Classes are 9-10 weeks long.
Registration is ongoing for Carol Zeitlin's summer art camps in Burke. Camps are four weekly sessions, Monday-Friday June 26-30, July 10-14, July 24- 28, and July 31-August 4. No class for students ages 5-8 July 24-28. For more information or to register, call Carol Zeitlin at 703-250-6930 or visit www.geocities.com/czeitlinschneier.
* Fine Arts and Crafts Camp, 12:30-3:15 p.m. for students 8 and up.
* Crafts and Drawing Fun Camp, 9:45-11:45 a.m. for students ages 5-8
* Drawing Camp, 9:30-11:45 a.m. for students 8 and up. July 24-28 only.
Greenspring Village’s English As a Second Language (ESL). Instruction to assist employees who want to improve their language skills. ESL classes meet twice a week. Volunteers who wish to enroll are asked to pay a $20 registration fee to be refunded at the completion of the course. Follow-up ESL courses for students who wish to continue are now in the planning stage. Visit www.ericksonretirement.com.
Adult English as a Second Language (ESL). Classes offered by Hogar Hispano of Catholic Charities at 24 locations in Northern Virginia. The cost is $40 per semester, textbook included. Call 703-534-9805 Ext. 222 or visit www.ccda.net for schedule.
Conversational English. Groups meet to practice English each Monday at 3 p.m., at Richard Byrd Community Library, 7250 Commerce St., Springfield. Adults only. Call 703-451-8055.