Know something that should be listed in Health & Fitness? Send a brief write-up to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA, 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Jon Whiten at 703-917-6422.
Christian yoga classes are offered Thursdays, from Jan. 12-March 23, at either 9:30-11 a.m. or 6-7:30 p.m., at St. Stephens' United Methodist Church, 9203 Braddock Road, Burke. Call 703-978-8724, Ext. 106.
The "Kids Living Fit" course and research study runs each Saturday, from Jan. 21-April 8, from 11 a.m.-12 p.m., at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital's Medical Office Building, 3700 Joseph Siewick Drive, Fairfax. The program is for children ages 8-12 who are overweight or at risk of becoming overweight. Cost is $100 per child. Registration is required, call 703-391-3781.
HAVEN of Northern Virginia sponsors the following bereavement support groups. HAVEN of Northern Virginia is located at 4606 Ravensworth Road, Annandale. For more information, call 703-941-7000 or visit www.havenofnova.org:
* Widow/Widower Bereavement Support Groups, for anyone grieving the death of a spouse. Meetings take place on the first and third Thursday of the month or on the second and fourth Tuesday of the month. The next Tuesday meeting takes place Jan. 24, from 7:30-9 p.m. The next Thursday meeting takes place Jan.19, from 2-3:30 p.m.
* Suicide Survivors Bereavement Support Group, for anyone grieving the loss of a loved one to suicide, meets the first Tuesday of the month from 7:30-9 p.m. Next meeting takes place Feb. 7.
Mothers & More is a support group for women who have altered their career path to care for their young children at home. The group offers playgroups, children's and family activities, guest speakers, book club, mom's night out, movie night, chat group and more. For more information, call 1-866-716-7766 or visit www.novamoms.org. The group meets at the following:
* The third Wednesday of the month at 7:30 p.m., in the Braddock Hall at the Kings Park Library, 9000 Burke Lake Road, Burke. The next meeting is Jan. 18.
* The first Thursday of the month at 7:30 p.m., at the Fairfax County Government Center.
Caregiver Support. A support group in Burke will offer support and information to people caring for elderly or disabled adults, whether these loved ones live in their home, nearby residences or miles away. Meetings are free and open to the public. This caregivers support group meets on the second and fourth Saturday of each month, 1-2:30 p.m., at Accotink Unitarian Universalist Church, 10125 Lakehaven Court, Burke. The next meeting will be Jan. 14. Call 703-451-8631 or e-mail email@example.com.
Donate Blood. Inova Blood Donor Services is open weekdays, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. and Saturdays, 8 a.m.-4 p.m., at its main location at 3289 Woodburn Road in Annandale. To inquire about appointments at a convenient donor center or blood drive, call 1-866-BLOOD SAVES (1-866-256-6372) or visit www.inova.org/donateblood.
Other Inova blood donation sites are:
* Inova Alexandria Hospital
4320 Seminary Road, Alexandria, Va.
Hours: Monday and Wednesday; noon-8 p.m.
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday; 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Inova Mount Vernon Hospital
2501 Parker's Lane, Alexandria, Va.
Hours: Monday-Thursday; 4-7 p.m.
* CentreMed, Centreville, Va.
Hours: Tuesday, Thursday and Friday; noon-8 p.m.
Saturday; 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
Registration for weekday and weekend lamaze childbirth classes in Springfield is available at www.lamaze-dc.com or by calling 703-549-2226.
Burke Internal Medicine, located at 5631 Burke Centre Parkway in Burke, seeks volunteers with type 2 diabetes for a clinical research study, to last about six months, with up to 19 clinic visits. Call 703-250-5171.
Alzheimer's Family Day Center, located at 2812 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax, hosts various classes. Reservations are required, and classes are open to people who are caring for a relative or friend with dementia. For more, call 703-204-4664 or visit www.alzheimersfdc.org/classes.htm.
The Parkinson Foundation of the National Capital Area offers the following support group opportunities:
* Fairfax Sully Group and Exercise Class. The Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets monthly on the fourth Saturday, from 10-11 a.m., with an exercise class at 11 a.m., at the Fair Oaks Sunrise Assisted Living Facility, 3750 Joseph Siewick Drive, Fairfax. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients and family members. Co-leaders are Bill Robbins 703-830-3823 and Darryl Edwards 703-378-9213. Visit www.parkinsonstories.com.
* Fairfax Little River Glen Group. The Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets on the third Thursday of the month at 1 p.m., at Little River Glen Senior Center, 4001 Barker Court, Fairfax. The next meeting is on Nov. 17. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients, family members, and carepartners. No charge. Call Leon Paparella at 202-966-4450.
* The Springfield Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets on the fourth Thursday of the month at 2 p.m., at Greenspring Village, 7400 Spring Village Drive, Town Center Building, Music Room, Springfield. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients, family members and carepartners. Call Michel Margosis at 703-569-2630 or Mitch Mills at 703-913-0270.
* The Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets on the fourth Saturday of the month from 10-11 a.m., with an exercise class normally reserved at 11 a.m., at the Fair Oaks Sunrise Assisted Living Facility, 3750 Joseph Siewick Drive, Fairfax. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients and family members. For more information, contact Bill Robbins at 703-830-3823 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and Darryl Edwards at 703-378-9213. Visit www.parkinsonstories.com.
* Fairfax Little River Glen Exercise Class. The Parkinson's Disease Exercise Class meets weekday mornings at Little River Glen Senior Center, 4001 Barker Court, Fairfax. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients, family members and carepartners. Call the LRG Senior Center at 703-503-8703.
TLC: Teens Living with Cancer. Monthly social activities for 13 to 18-year-olds who have cancer give them a chance to meet others with cancer, share a little have fun. Call 703-208-5623 for details. At the Life with Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St. Call 703-698-2841 or visit www.lifewithcancer.org.
The Jewish Social Service Agency sponsors services for older adults in Northern Virginia, including in-home support services such as Meals on Wheels, nonsectarian geriatric care management services and counseling for seniors and their family. Call 703-204-9100. The Jewish Social Service Agency is located at 3018 Javier Road, Fairfax.
Alzheimer's Association Caregiver Support Group. Meets the third Monday of the month from 10-11:30 a.m., at Manor Care of Fair Oaks, 12475 Lee Jackson Highway. Facilitated by trained group leaders, ongoing, free and open to the community. Support groups allow families to meet other caregivers, to share experiences and care giving tips while developing coping skills. Caregivers and family members are invited to visit. Call Anita Newsome, group leader, at 703- 352-7172 prior to attending for the first time.
Parents of Children with Epilepsy. A support group for parents of children of all ages diagnosed with seizure disorders, meets the fourth Monday of each month, 7-8 p.m., at the Braddock supervisor's office in the meeting room, 9002 Burke Lake Road. Call Dana Douglas at 703-425-6660.
CanSurvive. Life with Cancer sponsors a patient-led, drop in lunchtime general cancer support group for those dealing with any type of cancer on Thursdays at 12 p.m., at the Life with Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St. Call 301-610-9146 or visit www.can-survive.net.
Thyroid Cancer Support Group. Open to thyroid cancer survivors and their adult loved ones to share information and support in this monthly meeting co-sponsored with the Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association. Call 1-877-588-7904.
Spirituality Quest. This support group meets on the second Tuesday of each month at the Life with Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St. Call 703-698-2841.
Multiple Myeloma Group meets monthly to discuss experiences, emotions and challenges of living with multiple myeloma. The Life With Cancer Family Center is located at 2832 Juniper St. Call 703-698-2841.
Breast Cancer Group at the Inova Fairfax Woman's Center, Radiation Oncology Conference Room, 3300 Gallows Road. Call 703-698-2841.
The Church of the Nativity offers a general bereavement support group the first and third Thursday of each month from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m., at the church, 6400 Nativity Lane, Burke. Open to adults of all faiths. Call 703-455-2400, ext. 17.
Metastatic Breast Cancer support groups, a closed group setting with other women living with metastatic breast cancer, take place on Thursdays and Fridays. Registration is required. Call Sage Bolte at 703-208-5620.
Birthmothers is an outreach ministry for pregnant women serving Fairfax county. They match pregnant women with a specially trained friend who listens to concerns about being pregnant, the baby's father and the future. The group also connects women with practical assistance like low-cost prenatal care, housing resources, or legal aid. Birthmothers is confidential and free. Call 1-877-77BIRTH.
Parent-to-Parent. A support group for parents of young children with special needs, co-sponsored by Jewish Social Service Agency and the Board of Jewish Education, Northern Virginia. Fourth Friday of every month at a location to be announced. $65/individual, $90/couple for entire series, $10/session for drop-ins. Call 301-255-1944.
The Northern Virginia Epilepsy Group meets each Wednesday, from 7-8 p.m., at Falls Church High School, Room 100, 7521 Jaguar Trail, Falls Church. Call 703-425-6660.
New Mom's Group. Meets at Inova Fairfax Hospital Women's Center, 7 South Dayroom, 3300 Gallows Road, Falls Church. New mom and baby topics and concerns, including breast-feeding. Experienced maternal-infant nurse/lactation consultant facilitates the group discussions. Weekly prize drawing. Complimentary parking, baby weight check, refreshments and resource information. Ongoing, Thursdays 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m. For the convenience of new moms, no preregistration needed. $5/session. Call 703-204-6455.
Fairfax County has partnered with Senior Navigator to provide up-to-date health and aging information and resources for seniors, adults with disabilities and caregivers in Virginia. Features include online access to nearly 19,000 public and private services in Virginia, hundreds of informative articles on health and aging, and an "Ask the Expert" feature that allows specialists to provide confidential answers to your questions. Visit www.seniornavigator.org.
Achieve Fitness is offering free trial classes for its women-only outdoor fitness boot camps in Fairfax Station. To register, visit www.womensonlyfitness.com or call 1-888-872-7961. E-mail email@example.com.
Body and Soul aerobics and strength training classes meet every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 9-10:30 a.m., at Burke Community Church, 9990 Old Keene Mill Road. Body and Soul is a complete cardiovascular and strength workout to contemporary Christian music. Call Suzann Albanese at 703-372-2332.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society sponsors the "First Connection" program, which matches patients newly diagnosed with leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma or another blood-related cancer — and their families — with cancer survivors who have lived through a similar illness. For more information on this program, call 703-960-1100, ext. 231.
Food Addicts In Recovery Anonymous is a program for individuals recovering from addictive eating and anorexia based on the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. There are no dues, fees or weigh-ins at our meetings. Meetings are held on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. and Saturdays at 8 a.m., at Westwood Baptist Church, 8200 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield. Call 1-877-805-2823 for more information and other times and locations.
Sunrise Assisted Living of Fairfax offers a short-term stay program for aging persons. Fees vary depending on the community and personal care needs. Three meals per day are included. Program is designed for a week's stay to several months. For more information, call 703-691-0046. Sunrise of Fairfax is located at 9207 Arlington Blvd., Fairfax.