<lst>Know something that should be listed in Health & Fitness? Send a brief write-up to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA, 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Jon Whiten at 703-917-6422.
A free Falun Gong exercise workshop is offered Saturday, Aug. 20, from 2-4:30 p.m., at Fairfax City Regional Library, 3915 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax.
Orchid Pagoda presents GoodBodies Pilates for Kids, a child-friendly pilates program. Two class levels (ages 6-12 and ages 13-18) are running this fall. Free introductions to the class run throughout August. For more, call 703-207-9120. Orchid Pagoda is located at 8626 Lee Highway #200, Fairfax.
Registration is now open for walk enthusiasts, community groups, organizations and families to participate in the inaugural Fairfax Corner Walk for Food Allergies: Moving Toward A Cure, on Sept. 10, at 9 a.m. at The Plaza at Fairfax Corner. Funds raised will support The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network. For more, visit www.foodallergy.org or call 1-800-929-4040.
United Ostomy Association, Northern Virginia Chapter monthly support group meets on Sunday, Sept. 11, from 1:30-3:30 p.m., in the Physicians' Conference Center, at INOVA Fairfax Hospital, 3300 Gallows Road, Falls Church. Conversation and refreshments begin at 1:30 p.m. Program begins at 2 p.m. Dr. Dan Albrant, consulting pharmacist, will lead a discussion on "Neutroceuticals, " all dietary supplements, including herbs, teas, more. Free. Ostomy nurse at every meeting for help and advice. Open to all; parking in Blue garage is free with ticket stamped at UOA meeting. For more information, call 703-802-3457 or visit www.novachapteruoa.org.
The Parkinson Foundation of the National Capital Area offers the following support group opportunities:
* Fairfax Sully Group and Exercise Class. The Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets monthly on the fourth Saturday, from 10-11 a.m., with an exercise class at 11 a.m., at the Fair Oaks Sunrise Assisted Living Facility, 3750 Joseph Siewick Drive, Fairfax. Next meeting takes place Aug. 27. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients and family members. Co-leaders are Bill Robbins 703-830-3823 (e-mail: email@example.com) and Darryl Edwards 703-378-9213. Visit www.parkinsonstories.com.
* Fairfax Little River Glen Group. The Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets on the third Thursday of the month at 1 p.m., at Little River Glen Senior Center, 4001 Barker Court, Fairfax. The next meeting is on Aug. 18. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients, family members, and carepartners. No charge. For more information, call Leon Paparella at 202-966-4450.
* The Springfield Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets on the fourth Thursday of the month at 2 p.m., at Greenspring Village, 7400 Spring Village Drive, Town Center Building, Music Room, Springfield. The next meeting takes place Aug. 25. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients, family members and carepartners. For more information, call Michel Margosis at 703-569-2630 or Mitch Mills at 703-913-0270.
* The Parkinson's Disease Support Group meets on the fourth Saturday of the month from 10-11 a.m., with an exercise class normally reserved at 11 a.m., at the Fair Oaks Sunrise Assisted Living Facility, 3750 Joseph Siewick Drive, Fairfax. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients and family members. For more information, contact Bill Robbins at 703-830-3823 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org) and Darryl Edwards at 703-378-9213. Visit www.parkinsonstories.com.
* Fairfax Little River Glen Exercise Class. The Parkinson's Disease Exercise Class meets weekday mornings at Little River Glen Senior Center, 4001 Barker Court, Fairfax. The Parkinson Foundation (PFNCA) welcomes PD patients, family members and carepartners. For class schedule and more information, call the LRG Senior Center at 703-503-8703.
Alzheimer's Family Day Center, located at 2812 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax, hosts various classes. Reservations are required, and classes are open to people who are caring for a relative or friend with dementia. For more, call 703-204-4664 or visit www.alzheimersfdc.org/classes.htm.
HAVEN of Northern Virginia sponsors the following bereavement support groups. HAVEN of Northern Virginia is located at 4606 Ravensworth Road, Annandale. For more information, call 703-941-7000 or visit www.havenofnova.org:
* Widow/Widower Bereavement Support Groups, for anyone grieving the death of a spouse. Meetings take place on the first and third Thursday of the month or on the second and fourth Tuesday of the month. The next Tuesday meetings take place Aug. 23 and Sept. 13, from 7:30-9 p.m. The next Thursday meeting takes place Aug. 18 and Sept. 1, from 2-3:30 p.m.
* A General Bereavement Support Group, for anyone grieving the death of a loved one. Meetings take place the first and third Wednesday of the month. Next meeting takes place Sept. 7 from 7:30-9 p.m.
* Suicide Survivors Bereavement Support Group, for anyone grieving the loss of a loved one to suicide, meets the first Tuesday of the month from 7:30-9 p.m. Next meeting takes place Sept. 6.
Mothers & More is a support group for women who have altered their career path to care for their young children at home. The group offers playgroups, children's and family activities, guest speakers, book club, mom's night out, movie night, chat group and more. For more information, call 1-866-716-7766 or visit www.novamoms.org. The group meets at the following:
* The third Wednesday of the month at 7:30 p.m., in the Braddock Hall at the Kings Park Library, 9000 Burke Lake Road, Burke. The next meeting is Aug. 17.
* The first Thursday of the month at 7:30 p.m., at the Fairfax County Government Center. Next meeting is Sept. 1.
The Alzheimer's Association National Capital Area Chapter hosts its annual Memory Walk on Saturday, Oct. 1. Registration begins at 8 a.m., the walk begins at 10 a.m. Registration is free, but walkers are encouraged to raise a minimum of $200. Participants can walk one or three miles. The walk begins at George Mason University, 4400 University Drive, Fairfax. For more or to register, visit memorywalknca.kintera.org or call 1-800-272-3900.