SPRINGFIELD MAN CHARGED IN ASSAULT
Fairfax County Police charged Carlos A. Fuentes, 21, of Comet Circle in the Springfield area with sexually assaulting a 19-year-old Arlington area woman.
The victim reported that she had been out with friends on Saturday, April 12, when they decided to stay at a motel for the night. After everyone had fallen asleep, one of the group, who was later identified as Fuentes, allegedly sexually assaulted the victim.
Fuentes turned himself into police on Friday, May 2. He is being held without bond at the Adult Detention Center.
POLICE ARREST TWO IN HOTEL STABBING
On Monday, Arlington police announced the arrest of two men for the April 26 killing of Cesar Antonio Rios-Garcia.
Eber Y. Rodrigues, 20, of Alexandria, and 24-year-old Simon Ernesto Flores-Siliezar were charged with murder, and are being held without bond in the Arlington County Detention Facility. Both were arrested Friday evening by Fairfax County Police based on information developed by detectives from Arlington?s Homicide/Robbery Unit.
At about 9:50 p.m. on April 26, officers arrived at the Econo-Lodge in the 2400 block of South Glebe Road, investigating reports of a fight in progress. They found Rios-Garcia suffering from an abdomenal stab wound. Arlington paramedics transported Rios-Garcia to a local hospital where he died from his wounds three hours later.
The investigation is ongoing, and detectives are still interested in talking to anyone who may have witnessed the April 26 altercation. Anyone with information about this incident should call detective Mike Robinson at 703-228-4183 or Arlington County Crime Solvers at 703-522-TIPS (8477) or 800-673-2777. Callers to Crime Solvers may remain anonymous, do not need to testify in court, and may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000. A Spanish-speaking detective is available to talk to callers.
ROUSH OK'S MALVO CONFESSION
Much of Lee Boyd Malvo's confession to Fairfax police detective June Boyle and FBI agent Brad Garrett on Nov. 7 will be permitted as evidence during trial. But not all.
In a 24-page written order, Judge Jane M. Roush ruled Tuesday, May 6, that anything Malvo said to police after he was read his Miranda rights will be admissible as evidence during trial. Anything Malvo might have said before police advised him of his rights, and before Malvo signed the Miranda form with an "X," will not be permitted as evidence.
Malvo is charged with the capital murder of Arlington resident Linda Franklin, who was shot outside a Falls Church Home Depot on Oct. 14, 2002. During the October sniper attacks in Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C., 10 people were murdered and three were injured.
Malvo's trial is scheduled for Nov. 10, 2003.
Under Roush's ruling, prosecutors will be able to use some of the most damning elements of Malvo's confession as evidence against him in court.
For example, Boyle will be allowed to testify that Malvo laughed while describing the shooting of Franklin and other sniper victims.
"After receiving a full explanation of his rights, Malvo elected to be interviewed by police," wrote Roush.
Commonwealth's Attorney Robert F. Horan Jr., however, will not be allowed to introduce as evidence Malvo's conversation with police before they read him his Miranda rights.
Malvo's attorneys argued last week that all of his statements should be inadmissible because his request to see a lawyer was ignored.
Horan argued however that Malvo's question, "Do I get to talk to my attorneys?" was not a clear invocation of his Miranda rights.
But Roush ruled that detectives collected some parts of Malvo?s confession before he was fully apprised of his Miranda rights. For example, Malvo was asked how he met sniper defendant John Muhammad, how he moved around the area, if he thought one has the right to harm other people and if he would harm other people.